The course consists of a combination of formal course work and a period of practical learning. The formal course work is split 50:50 (approx) between practical/ skills training and classroom (theoretical) sessions. The course consists of a range of mandatory and elective modules. Students choose a cluster of elective modules in one of the following specialisms: dairy production, drystock production, machinery and crop production.
Some of the modules we cover are:
- Grass Production (5N20399)
- All Terrain Vehicles (5N1752)
- Beef Husbandry (5N20388)
- Farm Business and Technology (5N20377)
- Farm Safety and Farm Assurance (5N20371)
- Dairy Husbandry (5N20396)
- Soils and the Environment (5N20374)
- Safe Use of Pesticide Products (5N20380)
- Principles of Agriculture (5N20368)
- Work Practice (5N1433_CIA5)
This course, accredited by QQI, is the introductory course for young people who wish to make their career as farmers. The course is suitable for people seeking employment on farms.
Graduates of the course are eligible to:
- Progress to a Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Agriculture programme
- Transfer to Year 2 of the Higher Certificate in Agriculture or a BSc in Agriculture at an Institute of Technology
- Transfer to linked courses at Institutes of Technology through the Higher Education Links Scheme
Applicants for this full-time programme must be 17 years old or over on 1 January following entry to the course. This course will be of most benefit to anyone who has completed the senior cycle at second level (Leaving Certificate or equivalent).
Where to Apply
On successful completion students are awarded:
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture.
This is the first year in a two year programme to becoming a young trained farmer.
On-Farm Practical Learning Period
Students on the full-time programme spend a 8-week practical learning period on an approved training farm which has the enterprise of their specialism.
Maintenance Grant: Apply to Teagasc for a Teagasc Maintenance Grant
- Students with this Level 5 award may progress to the Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Agriculture.
- Progression is also available through the higher education links scheme. Please contact the relevant higher education institute for further information.
Online Applications for September 2021 are now open