Farm Manager Career Opportunity
Position : Farm Manager
Post Type: Permanent Appointment
Location: Salesian Agricultural College, Don Bosco Road, Pallaskenry, Co. Limerick V94 V8N3
A panel may be formed from which future similar vacancies may be filled; such a panel will remain active for a maximum period of 12 months.
Reporting To: College Principal and/or other nominated manager
Grade/Salary: Technician Grade 1 with a starting salary of €28,120 to €38,190 per annum.
This is for a standard working week of 37.5 hours. Hours worked over the normal working week will be paid accordingly. Starting pay will be at the minimum of the scale per Government Circular E100/8/82. Exceptional circumstances may apply for candidates with current or recent previous service in the public sector, subject to meeting the criteria as set out by Government.
Remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government Policy.
Basic Function: The appointee will be responsible for the day to day management of a large pasture based spring calving dairy herd, in addition to a spring calving suckler and spring lambing ewe flock. The college farm is the teaching platform supporting a range of agricultural courses as well as operating as a commercial farm. Responsibilities will include grassland management, breeding and reproduction, animal health and welfare, milk quality, health and safety as well as data collation and dissemination to students and visiting farmers when required.
Background: The Salesian Agricultural College is owned by the Salesians of Don Bosco Ireland and started as an Agricultural College in 1919. The farm extends to 200 Ha and operates dairy, beef and sheep enterprises. The dairy herd is a spring calving, high EBI (€158), grass based with 340 cows to calve in spring 2020. All replacements are contract reared. The suckler herd of 40 cows is spring calving, high replacement index (€173) with male progeny finished under 16 months. The midseason ewe flock is also of high replacement index. The college is embarking on a further phase of dairy herd expansion and the successful candidate will be key player in this development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management of a large dairy herd (currently 300 cows), suckler herd (40 cows and young stock) and sheep flock (160 ewes), ensuring all enterprises operate at maximum technical and financial efficiency
- Supervision of farm staff
- Management and implementation of the agreed farm business plan
- Take part in practical instruction with agricultural students
- Responsible for health and safety on farm
- Dissemination of enterprise performance and management practices to students and visiting groups
- Contribute to teamwork and team-spirit, and foster further collaboration and integration
- Participate in Enterprise Team Meetings and College Management Team Meetings
- Actively participate in the ongoing development and marketing of the Salesian Agricultural College
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the College Principal or other nominated manager, from time to time.
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed with the post-holder from time to time.