This course has been developed to meet the training requirements for full-time or part-time farmers.
This part-time course extends over a minimum of 18 months.
Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders course:
- Comprises two separate awards, the Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture (120 credits) and the Level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Farming (50 credits)
- Has a minimum entry requirement of a Level 6 major Non-Agricultural Award
- Requires in the region of 170 hours direct contact (including classroom sessions, practical skills instruction; farm planning sessions, tutorials; exam time; practical skills assessment time). Attendance will be on week days during normal business hours. Depending on local arrangements, centres will endeavour to provide applicants with a schedule of some or all attendance days before the start of the course.
- Requires a 12 month practical learning period. This will be completed on the home farm/nominated farm in the Republic of Ireland.
- Students must have access to a nominated farm as they are required to spend approximately two days per week (eg evenings or weekends) of active participation on the nominated farm to practice skills and apply knowledge from the courses.
- In order to complete some projects, students have to be able to access a full set of farm accounts and herd breed data where relevant for the nominated farm. Students must be normally resident on the island of Ireland for the duration of the course.
NOTE: The content and structure of this course is planned to change in 2018 subject to QQI validation